A Letter to Weldaloy Suppliers – COVID-19
March 23, 2020
Re: Essential United States Government Functions
Dear Weldaloy Supplier,
The federal government has identified 16 critical infrastructure sectors that are considered vital to the security, economic security, and/or public health or safety of the United States. Weldaloy Specialty Forgings (“Weldaloy”) is an essential supplier to multiple prime contractors for the United States government in these critical infrastructure sectors. These contractors have identified Weldaloy and our suppliers as “mission essential” and notified us that we, and our suppliers, should continue to operate.
In addition, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Cyber and Infrastructure Security (CISA) program issued guidance regarding the Nation’s “Essential Critical Infrastructure” to ensure its continuity of operations. Specifically, CISA’s guidance said: “If you work in a critical infrastructure industry…you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule.”
Given the mission essential nature of our workforce and operations, Weldaloy intends to continue operating in compliance with Federal guidelines and Michigan Governor Whitmer’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” order (Executive Order 2020-21),. Governor Whitmer’s order, which supersedes county or local orders, recognizes the Federal guidance and the mission essential nature of companies like Weldaloy and our suppliers, and expressly exempts our company and our workers from the order. Specifically, in section 9b
- For purposes of this order, critical infrastructure workers also include:
(b) Workers at designated suppliers and distribution centers, as described below.
(1) A business or operation that employs critical infrastructure workers may designate suppliers, distribution centers, or service providers whose continued operation is necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of its critical infrastructure workers.
(2) Such suppliers, distribution centers, or service providers may designate workers as critical infrastructure workers only to the extent those workers are necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of the original operation’s or business’s critical infrastructure workers.
(3) Designated suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers may in turn designate additional suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers whose continued operation is necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of their critical infrastructure workers.
(4) Such additional suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers may designate workers as critical infrastructure workers only to the extent that those workers are necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of the critical infrastructure workers at the supplier, distribution center, or service provider that has designated them.
You are an essential supplier to Weldaloy. We ask that you continue to supply and service Weldaloy during the current COVID-19 outbreak. Please request that the local authorities allow any employees who are necessary to ensuring this supply be allowed to travel to and from work.
The health and safety of your employees and the public is paramount, so you should be sure to institute all appropriate procedures to limit the transmission among the employees at your facilities. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, separating staff by off-setting shift hours or days and/or social distancing. These steps can preserve the workforce and allow operations to continue.
If you have specific concerns regarding staffing or delivery schedules related to your Weldaloy orders or services, please work with your Weldaloy purchasing contact on a revised schedule or scope of work, as is appropriate.
For questions related to this notice, please reach out to your Weldaloy purchasing point of contact, call me at (586) 758-5550, or email me at email@example.com. Thanks for your ongoing support.
Purchasing Agent, Weldaloy Specialty Forgings